Tuesday, September 27, 2005

 

We'll start with gearing and see where it takes us



Well, I must admit that I didn't pine over this decision nearly as much as I thought I would, but I've decided to gear the 750 specifically for the 1/8 mile. I've had so much fun at Desert Thunder Raceway over the last few weekends that I simply can't help myself. One of the many blessings of having two bikes is that you can set up one motorcycle in an outrageously high-rev configuration, while still having the other one suitably arranged for track days and road trips. To that end, I ordered myself a set of Renthal sprockets yesterday.

My goal is to have the ZX7R regeared and fueled with U4 by Saturday afternoon. If I'm in the low 7's thereafter, I'll be satisfied for a week or two. If I can put the Grean Meanie into the high 6's, all the better.

My reaction times have been really good, ranging from a worst last weekend of .15 to a best of .02. It just seems a shame to get consistent holeshots, only to have a 7.75 or 7.80 ET. Lower gearing should do the trick. Thereafter, I might get myself a bigger set of carbs or (gasp!) a hotter set of cams.

Details to come. Stay tuned.

LEAVE A COMMENT



<< Home