Saturday, May 01, 2010

 

Proof that literally any excuse to ride will suffice


One of the challenges the average motorcyclist often faces is in finding interesting new destinations within a well-beaten locale. Riding isn't always about hopping on a bike and going 500 or 1,000 miles at a stretch. Sometimes a motorcyclist simply wants to get out and roll for an hour or two and enjoy a short ride near home. The problem, as you might imagine, is that it doesn't take long before you've seen it all. Or does it?

One of the newish fads on Internet motorcycle forums right now is hunting VOR stations. VORs are navigation radars that are used by IFR-rated pilots. The Two-Wheeled Texans message forum is currently featuring a VOR hunt, and since I have a longtime interest in aviation, I thought I'd participate.

Here's my Z-Rex sitting in front of the MAF VORTAC between Midland (TX) and Gardendale (TX):


So I suppose the above evidence is just more proof that some motorcyclists will use literally any excuse to throw a leg over a bike, me apparently included.

If you'd like to participate in the Two-Wheeled Texans VOR hunt, CLICK HERE.



<< Home