Sunday, October 09, 2005

 

Rain, rain, go away -- er, come to think of it, stay a while


I just came into the house and washed up after spending a rather relaxing evening in the garage working on the ZX-7R. With a steady deluge of rain falling straight down in vertical sheets all afternoon and night, I figured wrenching can sometimes be an adequate substitute for riding. So I opened the garage door, turned on some tunes, poured myself a glass of Pinot Noir, and proceeded to disassemble, clean, wax, and change fluids for the next 4 hours.

I actually got quite a bit done. I flushed the Green Meanie’s radiator, changed the oil, re-bled all of the hydraulic systems with fresh fluid, buffed the entire bike to a glowing shine, and then put it all back together again -- all of these tasks accomplished in the cool, refreshing air that only an autumn rain shower can provide.

I almost put a fresh coat of wax on the ZX6R, as well, but was feeling a little tired. I guess there’s always tomorrow night. Although the rain will have been long gone by then.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is that rain isn’t always a bad thing for a motorcyclist. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad I don’t live some place like London or Seattle, but I enjoyed the evening nonetheless. It was just me and my bikes and a taste of the grape -- as fine a Sunday evening as a biker could ask for.

LEAVE A COMMENT



<< Home