Monday, March 07, 2005

 

Yamaha unveils new YZR-M1 package


Boasting a more compact engine design and new livery, Yamaha debuted its 2005 MotoGP package in Japan today.

In a press release, Gauloises Yamaha riders Valentino Rossi and Colin Edwards expressed excitement and optimism about both the upcoming season and the new bike design:
Rossi, now in his second season with Yamaha, talked about his year so far and his goals for the forthcoming season. "We have done a lot of test runs during the off-season. Things aren't quite 100% yet, but the machine and the engine are already much better than last year. It's nice to see the M1 in its final 2005 livery. I hope I can win the title again this year on this new bike, but winning is never easy! I was very happy to win nine races in last year's Championship and I think that is a good target for this year too. I hope everyone will be cheering for me!"

Rossi's new team-mate Edwards, who recently turned 31, spoke about his return to Yamaha after a seven-year absence. "I was last with Yamaha in the 1998 season in the World Superbike Championship and I am very happy to be back. I saw how good the MotoGP team and machines were last year, so I was excited when I got the offer to come back to the Yamaha side. I am also glad that there will be a US round at Laguna Seca this year for the first time in a while. I hope to have a bit of an advantage there, but I will be giving my best shot in all the races."
Rossi and Edwards will test the new package this week at Phillip Island.



<< Home